You should know that oral health is closely linked to the health of your entire body. Tooth and mouth decay not only lead to oral health problems but are also a symptom of deeper nutritional problems. Simply put: good teeth = sound health. Most Americans think we eat a healthy diet; however, this may not be so. Increasingly our foods are processed and lose vital nutrients along the way. It is a good idea to take a multi-vitamin daily; however additional oral health supplements may be necessary to ensure your mouth, teeth, gums and body are as disease-resistant as possible.
Top Oral Health Supplements
Here is a quick run-down of the top oral health supplements to promote sound dental health and overall wellbeing:
- Protein: If your diet is lacking in protein there are skim milk and soy-based powders fortified with nutrients to aid in strengthening tooth structure, tissue development and bolstering immunity
- Calcium, Vitamin D and Phosphorus: Strengthens tooth structure, and while tooth enamel cannot be replaced, calcium enhances a tooth’s mineral content which supports stronger teeth.
- Zinc, Folate, Iron, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Omega-3 fats and Antioxidants: Support connective tissues and boost immunity
- B Vitamins: Speed cell turnover and renewal for faster healing.
- Probiotics: Only fairly recently have these supplements become popular – and not a moment too soon. Probiotics decrease gingivitis and plaque and play a role in decreasing oral pathogens.
- Cranberries -An unlikely oral health supplement, but read on: Studies have shown that plant foods rich in anthocyanins decrease the growth of oral pathogens and that even mouthwash flavored with cranberry juice improves dental health!
Be sure to ask your dentist which oral health supplements are best for your teeth. Discover more about these important nutrients from a dentist you trust. Enroll with the EDP Dental Plan via our online registration form or call 631.257.3014 to speak with an EDP representative today.